Monday, November 22, 2010

A great lantern design by Leo Dowell

Gas Lanterns we created for Leo Dowell Interiors

We are currently building several light fixtures for Leo Dowell, of Leo Dowell Interiors.  He designed one of the bunch and I just had to show it off.  With the exception of wrought iron for the bottom scrolls, the entire light fixture is made in solid copper and brass.  Of course it's hand made to Leo's specifications; all the way down to the smallest details like the fish scale roof and the adorable rivet heads holding the straps.  I think it's one of the most interesting fixtures out there... and they're so adorable.
Leo has been creating everything from individual rooms to complete luxury homes for the past 35 years and his company specializes in European style furnishings and building materials as well.  He adds a touch of drama while keeping spaces comfortable to live in.

UPDATE: I sent Leo photos of his design and got such a fabulous letter back:
"Wow! It is such a pleasure to have a design interpreted in such a way that surpasses your expectations.  I got into this business in order to try to prove that I could provide design ideas that would be innovative and classic. It doesn't matter if I am doing a multimillion dollar Estate or designing a light fixture, I put my heart and soul into it. I just can't tell you how rewarding it is to find a kindred spirit. The lanterns are unbelievably fantastic! And I don't say that very often. I think we should market these nationally, what do you think? Let's do a signature collection...
Leo"

written by: Izabela Wojcik